Knowledge Management is essential in managing the organization that make BPPT want to know more and share their understanding about it with SBM ITB. Prof. Jann Hidajat Tjakraatmadja and Achmad Ghazali, PhD were the main speakers in sharing KM implementation at SBM ITB. It was an interesting and warm discussion. The goal of KM at SBM (related with QA and Accreditation) is to support the school in (i) mission alignment, (ii) quality improvement, and (iii) pursuing the standard of national and international accreditation.
KM Strategy applied at SBM ITB:
- Planning – Strategic Plan coming form assessment and the data that derives from the information from all unit that collected using integrated system
- Organize – As the program initiatives come up, the procedures and KPI is established
- Monitoring and Evaluation – The system to monitor and analyze the situation, then suggest the Deans and Senate for Policy enactment
SBM uses the term expertise group, that responsible in faculty (lecturer) development, research collaboration, improving curriculum (includes teaching and learning), and community services. Some activities are:
- Weekly meeting as the media for coordination and communication
- Workshop with external partner to hear their opinion related our curriculum
- Sharing and discussion related (i) the research of their member, (ii) teaching and learning quality improvement, and (iii) new information that we get after attending an event
|Organizational Characteristics of SBM|
|Capable of providing the required informastion/knowledge|
|Capable of learning and making decision fast and accurately|
|Capable of giving feedback and doing self organization|
SBM implements 5 Concepts of Viable System in Organization (Williams & Hummelbrunner, 2011):
- SYSTEM–1: NORMATIVE – explaining the identity, values and culture of SBM-ITB, as well as the vision and mission of SBM-ITB, which elucidates the direction and future conditions of SBM-ITB expected by society and ITB.
- SYSTEM–2: POLICY AND STRATEGIC – functioning as Intelligent which monitors the surrounding environment and explain the code of conduct as well as the steps and ways to achieve the vision/goals of the organization.
- SYSTEM–3: CONTROL/DIRECTION – functioning to control the work programs that exist in the system-4 by monitoring, conducting a verification and evaluating the resource management system operated by System-4. System-3 plays a role to ensure that the system-4 performs its function well and in accordance with Policy and Strategic Planning of SBM-ITB (in System-2).
- SYSTEM–4: OPERATIONAL – An operating unit of Tridharma SBM-ITB, which describes the process of execution of academic programs, research and community service.
- SYSTEM–5: KNOWLEDGE CENTER(BRAIN) – functioning to provide and distribute information/knowledge among Organ of SBM-ITB, to discuss or seek solutions to the issues that are came from System-4. Sistem-5 is realized as management data/information, internal service provider, or a knowledge center where 3 ORGANS of SBM-ITB are capable of coordinating (a decision) efficiently and effectively, and giving a feedback.